Category: new york city

E8 4071 pauses with the Eastbound Southweste…

E8 4071 pauses with the Eastbound Southwestern Limited at Terre Haute in May of 1958

Stainless steel cars on PRR Penn Texas no 4 at…

Stainless steel cars on PRR Penn Texas no 4 at Union Station

St. Louis, MO

May 19, 1956

PRR E8 exits a tunnel Pennsylvania Railro…

PRR E8 exits a tunnel

Pennsylvania Railroad E8 No. 5795 leads train 32, the New York–bound St. Louisan, out of one of the twin tunnels at Spruce Creek, Pa., in the mid-1950s.
Don Wood photo

Mattoon IL – Niagara 6018 has just arrived w…

Mattoon IL – Niagara 6018 has just arrived with the westbound Knickerbocker. Class J-1e hudson 5404 waits to take over the trip to St. Louis.
February, 1954

NYC’s Knickerbocker departs St. Louis In …

NYC’s Knickerbocker departs St. Louis

In the early 1950s, two E8s ease New York Central train 24, the Knickerbocker, out of St. Louis Union Station at the start of the train’s journey to New York.
Wayne P. Ellis photo

It’s Summer 1951 and #11 (Southwestern…

It’s Summer 1951 and #11 (Southwestern Limited) is headed west to Mattoon, and is still showing an observation car as it crosses Main Street in Paris, Illinois.

PRR train, engine number 5865 + additional d…

PRR train, engine number 5865 + additional diesel units, engine type EMD E7

Train #67, The American; 14 cars. Photographed: at Effingham, Ill., June 29, 1951.

The Southwestern Limited is just west of Midla…

The Southwestern Limited is just west of Midland [Paris, IL] in 1951, and up to track-speed. Next stop Mattoon, IL.

B&O’s Diplomat arrives St. Louis A Ba…

B&O’s Diplomat arrives St. Louis

A Baltimore & Ohio E7A-E7B diesel backs into St. Louis Union Station with arriving train 3, the Diplomat from Washington, D.C., in 1951. In the background, blue-and-gray Missouri Pacific head-end cars are being switched by a Baldwin diesel of the Terminal Railroad Association (TRRA) of St. Louis, the station’s operator.
R. S. Plummer photo

NYC’s “Southwestern Limited&rdqu…

NYC’s “Southwestern Limited” just east of Mattoon, IL in 1950.