Southern Railway train No. 41, the southbound PELICAN, was about five miles from its destination at New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal. No. 41 was at milepost 4 on the railroad’s New Orleans Terminal Co. subsidiary near East City Junction. It had a typical consist which reflected the nature of the train: F3A 6704, an F7A, five mail and express cars, the MERIDIAN & NEW ORLEANS Railway Post Office, and two coaches. The mail was removed from the train in late 1967 and it was discontinued in June 1968.
Louisville & Nashville 4-6-2 280 was awaiting the departure of train No. 34 – the combined Piedmont Limited-Gulf Wind – from Canal Street Station in New Orleans at 5:00 PM. The Piedmont Limited was bound for New York City via the L&N, West Point Route, Southern Railway, and the Pennsylvania; but between New Orleans and Flomaton, Alabama it included cars for Jacksonville via the Gulf Wind. Today’s train was unusual because it had a combine ahead of its baggage car, probably a dead-head move. The 280 was a USRA design light 4-6-2 and was one a dozen K-5’s (272-283) built by Alco-Brooks in 1924. It was one of the last Pacifics built for the L&N and one of the last to be retired, on 23 April 1954.
Louisville & Nashville train No. 34, the combined Piedmont for New York and Gulf Wind for Jacksonville, had just gone through the curve from the Mississippi riverfront onto the median of Elysian Fields Avenue and was crossing Decatur Street. The Gulf Wind operated over the Seaboard Air Line west of Chattahochee, Florida and the third car is a Seaboard coach. No. 34 train was being pulled by K-5 class 4-6-2 269. It was one of 26 K-5 class USRA light Pacifics, and one of eight (264-271) built by Baldwin in 1923. It was retired on 7 July 1953.
Louisville & Nashville K-5 class 4-6-2 265 was leading train No. 34 – the combined Piedmont Limited-Gulf Wind – out of Canal Street Station in New Orleans. The Piedmont Limited was bound for New York City via the L&N, West Point Route, Southern Railway, and the Pennsylvania; but between New Orleans and Flomaton, Alabama it included cars for the Gulf Wind. This latter train operated between Flomaton and Chattahochee, Florida as L&N No. 61 and on into Jacksonville as Seaboard Air Line No. 38. The train’s third car was a Seaboard coach.
No. 34 left New Orleans at 5:00 P.M. and arrived in New York’s Pennsylvania Station – 1,357 miles away – at 6:25 on the second morning out, while the Gulf Wind arrived in Jacksonville – 612 miles – at 9:00 on the first morning. The curved track on the extreme right belonged to the New Orleans Public Belt, the next two tracks were owned by the Southern Pacific, and the track next to No. 34 was the L&N’s southbound main line. The 265 was built by Baldwin in 1923 and retired on 1 February 1954.
New Orleans–Washington Southerner crossing Lake Pontchartrain east of New Orleans, c. 1940.
Combined New Orleans–Cincinnati Pan-American and New Orleans–Jacksonville, Fla., Gulf Wind at New Orleans, Apr. 27, 1971.
Illinois Central Observation on Train 5, the Panama Limited – Magnolia Star at New Orleans, LA, Union Terminal on November 22, 1967 by Marty Bernard
A Roger Puta Photograph
Illinois Central E7A’s 4006 and 4004 were heading out of the station, after having backed in with Train 3, the LOUISIANE. The engines were going to the engine terminal, just on the other side of the overpass in the distance, where the crew would tie up and mark off. If the train was on time, it would have gotten in at 4:55 p.m.
New Orleans, LA
Cincinnati–New Orleans Humming Bird backing into New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal, April 19, 1954.
New Orleans–Cincinnati Humming Bird at L&N’s Canal Street Station, New Orleans, early 1950s.