CB&Q Class PA-15 7204
Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad Class PA-15 7204 ( former PA-15 7151 ) power car at Aurora on October 11, 1964, Ektachrome by Chuck Zeiler. The CB&Q needed a source of electricity for the suburban coaches. Previously a limited amount of electricity was supplied by auxiliary generators installed on steam locomotives. During 1949, as the CB&Q transitioned from steam to diesel power for the Dinkys, six PA-15 suburban coaches were sent to the Aurora Shops for conversion to power generator coaches. A Cummins four-cylinder diesel driving a Century 40KW DC generator was installed in one end. The power cars, numbered in the 7200-7205 series, 7200-7202 had a seating capacity of 70 passengers while 7203-7205 seated 68. These cars were generally placed at the west end of the train, putting them at the far end when arriving at Union Station in Chicago so passengers did not have to pass by the roaring generators as they loaded and unloaded.